What is Scarborough Stories?
Scarborough Stories will celebrate real people and the real stories of Scarborough, highlighting the reasons why Scarborough is a special place.
It will bring the high street to life in the evening in a playful and artistic way that is accessible and owned by the community taking part.
Find out about ARCADE, the creators behind Scarborough Stories, and read more about the project below.
Scarborough Stories is a year-long production throughout 2021 that will see a series of inclusive and inspiring workshops led by incredible artists to explore ideas together as a community. In Spring 2022, they will perform within different and untraditional venues on the high street.
Activities will include:
10 outreach sessions delivering creative workshops in community settings
10 storytelling workshops delivered in the town centre
3 evenings of Scarborough Stories Pilot Performances
Workshops will target those in our community whose voices are often unheard or who face barriers in taking part in a cultural activity or local civic action. Participants will be aged 12 – 100 from all walks of life and the team will work with advocates from local existing organisations and charities.
ARCADE will build relationships with local independent business owners and support them to take part and explore the roles that storytelling can have in supporting the highstreet to thrive and the community to take pride in it.
Who will benefit?
Scarborough Stories will give participants from the community the opportunity to:-
- Explore storytelling, poetry, writing and performing and connect with their own creativity, breaking down the perception that art is elitist and not for them
- Develop their own stories for their own lives as part of a self-development process to support reflection, resilience, and sense of self
- Build agency and confidence in their own ideas for Scarborough and have their own platform to be heard by policymakers and other
Scarborough Stories will give the business community the opportunity to:-
- Work in partnership with their community
- Showcase the high street and their businesses as cultural and community destinations
- Present and share the story of their business if appropriate
Scarborough Stories will give audiences the opportunity to:-
- Hear the hidden stories of Scarborough
- Experience the high street in the evening in a new, safe and creative way
- Connect with a sense of pride in the town
- Experience a high-quality art experience
- Give their feedback on the future of Scarborough Stories pilot