Counting down to Christmas 2019
In 2019 we supported an application put forward by a business steering group headed by The Brunswick Shopping Centre to bring about a light switch on event, victorian market and Scarborough destination marketing campaign.
The investment was made based on how retailers contribute to the overall levy and feedback that not enough was done within the town to help businesses fight back against online shopping.
To assist with coordinating the necessary health and safety/road closures, the steering group partnered with Scarborough Borough Council tourism and events department to deliver all of the proposed activity.
What we funded
- Town centre light switch on event
- Scarborough specific marketing to encourage out of season stays
- Local advertising opportunity for levy businesses
- Victorian Market
- Christmas Tree – unfortunately, the first tree was vandalised before the tree was fully installed; we are thankful to SBC for finding a traditional replacement so quickly. A refund was issued for this, and it has been put aside for the 2021 Christmas activity.
Local businesses and groups contributed to the activity by providing additional Christmas entertainment over the six weekends leading up to the big day, including a Treasure Trail with the amazing SJT Treasure Island Pirates.
BID businesses were provided with an opportunity to feature in the Scarborough Christmas website and accompanying booklet and Treasure Trail to help entice shoppers visit their stores.
Total investment: £49,161
The organiser combined feedback gathered by the BID, and below are 5 suggestions that should be considered for future applications:
- 100% feel the activity should remain in the town centre
- The campaign should be shorter with more family-friendly activities and experiences
- There is a recognition that there is room for improvement. However, businesses want to see more activity like this in the town
- The location, size and quality of a Christmas market needs to be discussed with more businesses in the town
- Work with seafront traders to maximise the opportunity to promote Christmas breaks and experiences