What is the Puffin Festival?
Flamborough Cliffs boast the UK’s best land-based puffin viewing opportunities, as featured this month on the BBC’s Blue Planet UK. Yet many people are that one of the most recognisable birds breed in the UK.
The festival will raise awareness of a puffin colony that is Yorkshire born and bred and an opportunity to highlight the other wildlife residents of the Headland’s via a variety of attractions, events, and activities that everyone can enjoy.
The event will take a different format to previous years through a promotion of self managed experiences that people can safely enjoy. Yorkshire Wildlife Trust are already engaging with the local community and organisations throughout the coast to ensure that everyone is aware of the opportunities available to participate and preparing plans for 2022.
The fun begins at Puffin HQ! Based in the car park at Flamborough Cliffs nature reserve, it’s your first port of call for activities and information.
The friendly team will be on hand to answer all your seabird questions, get you booked onto our guided walks, and host various family-friendly activities including:
- Interactive puffin challenge
- Puffin crafts
- Mindful wild retreat
- Hands-on marine life discovery
- Self-guided ‘Seabird I-spy’ trail
Who will benefit?
The Puffin Festival will give businesses, residents and visitors the opportunity to:-
- Benefit from the profile of the event and the increased footfall at a time of year when numbers dip before the holidays.
- Encourage locals to engage with the wildlife opportunities on their doorsteps and explore the area in more detail
- Draw unique visitors to the headland, move them between attractions, and increase both footfall and visitor spend in a safe and responsible way.
Yorkshire Puffin Festival is taking place from Saturday 29th May to Monday 31st May 2021.
However, you don’t need to be near the sea to discover more about these clowns of the ocean – protecting our amazing Yorkshire puffins begins at home!
Sign up to receive the Puffin Protector Pack. It’s packed full of incredible puffin facts, activities to do at home, advice on where to spot them on the Yorkshire coast, puffin-themed gifts and competitions and ideas to help you protect puffins!