The Yorkshire Coastal Route
Let us first take away the mystery….we are not planning to build any new roads! One of our core objectives is to promote the entire BID geographical area and rather than investing in traditional advertising mediums such as TV, we decided to create an activity-based experience that could create more of a hook to entice people to visit and stay for longer than a day.
The route product can be travelled by car, bike, on foot connected to public transport, supporting our ambition is for it be as green as possible with EV charging points and bike repair stations.
Why we are investing in routes
The concept of themed routes as tourist activities has gained prominence in recent decades including, in the UK, the North Coast 500 Route and the Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland. Longer established routes in other countries include Route 66, the Pacific Coast Highway in California, South Africa’s Garden Route and the Via Augusta in Spain.
The Route has the potential to transform the economy of this part of Yorkshire as it builds on and learns from the global benchmark of the North Coast 500 (NC500)which has had a transformational effect on the highland economy and the destination profile of the North Highlands. The NC500 has extended the season, increased accommodation occupancy, dwell time and grown expenditure – regarded by a leading and global consultancy as the most innovative tourism product in the world today.
How we are developing the routes and itineraries
Firstly, we invest in creating an inspiring series of itineraries that will become part of the overall route package. One of these itineraries will highlight the marine and wildlife that can be seen throughout the Yorkshire Coast created in collaboration with local sculpture Emma Stothard.
Emma is renowned for creating eye-catching and iconic sculptures, and there will be a new piece commissioned for each of our coastal towns and waymarkers, which will reflect their heritage.
We will be confirming branding and developing the app that will hold this engaging content throughout the first part of 2021 – aiming to launch later in the year!
Who will benefit?
Yorkshire Coastal Route will give visitors and residents throughout the Yorkshire Coast the opportunity to:-
- Explore new areas in a variety of ways
- Discover our history, wildlife and community
- View the sculptures throughout the Yorkshire Coast and discover more about our fishing heritage and marine life
- Hear real stories, told by businesses and residents throughout the Yorkshire Coast
- Attend events like The Odyssey which will feature prominently throughout the route over the next 3 years.
The Yorkshire Coastal Route will give the business community the opportunity to:-
- Promote themselves as a great place to stay, experience or eat
- Register as a key place of interest at no additional charge
- Feature in specific articles to promote the route and different experiences
- Receive visitor data and other vital information to help businesses target new target audiences